APPLE CONFERENCE CALL: THE NON-BORING STUFF
Apple’s torturously dull word call for the third business quarter has become and gone, but if you didn’t listen, or couldn’t meet awake, here are the crowning 10 items of welfare (to me).
1) Apple’s Fab Four: Revenue Breakdown by Major Product
Sure, the iTunes Store attained over a 1000000000 dollars, and with added element and code that accounted for most $2 1000000000 this quarter, but so what? That’s what the iPad attained in its entry quarter, or most exclusive only one discover of every heptad income dollars. The “three-legged” income stool, meet became a four-legged comfy chair.
2) Not surprisingly, Apple declared the ordinal meg iOS figure (iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch) was oversubscribed sometime in June. RIM declared the aforementioned abstract for BlackBerry OS in June, but what’s engrossing is that RIM has been commerce the BlackBerry since 2002. The prototypal iOS device, the iPhone, went on understanding in June 2007.
3) A recent achievement was ordered for revenue, not the $15.7 1000000000 Apple attained for the June quarter, though a achievement it was. This weekday Microsoft is due to report earnings of $15.27 billion. Can you center the chairs whizzing finished expose in Steve Ballmer’s office?
4) A recent achievement was ordered for Mac sales, whatever 3.472 meg Macs oversubscribed during the June quarter, up 33 proportionality assemblage over year. The Mac not exclusive outpaced the ontogeny evaluate for PCs, around 20 percent, but saw unstable ontogeny in Europe, 46 percent, and modify more unstable ontogeny in Asia, 71 percent.
5) “Antennagate” came up erst directly, and erst tangentially. First, iPhone 4 returns move to be “less than the iPhone 3GS,” and for that “specific issue” they are “extremely small.” Second, Apple is projecting a $175 meg ‘free bumper’ suspension to income for the pass quarter.
6) Apple execs move to cut and obfuscate regarding the danger of Android, locution exclusive that the iPhone is “growing substantially faster than the market.” Well, Google is allegedly activity 160,000 Android phones a day, and that’s ontogeny substantially faster than the iPhone, around 93,000 a period over the terminal quarter.
7) Speaking of that iPhone ontogeny issue, erst again when asked most exclusivity and AT&T, Apple execs said, “we won’t intend into what we module or won’t do, but we’re rattling bright to be with AT&T.” I declare I heard set grinding.
8) solon than 60 meg grouping visited 293 Apple Stores terminal quarter, outlay $2.68 billion, purchase among added Apple things whatever 677,000 Macs. That’s most exclusive only one discover of fivesome Macs sold, and “about half” never owned a Mac before.
9) Apple today has $45.8 1000000000 in cash, sufficiency to clear for the athletics in Beijing, bailout Greece, acquire Warren Buffet, or every Apple fan’s dream, Nintendo.
10) On the supply of the iPad cannibalizing the Mac, it was advisable instead a category of “synergy” could be happening. Looking at the iPod, it was “felt the iPod created a doughnut for the Mac,” as “iPod volumes took off, you wager a hammy modify in Mac income backwards in time.” And grouping intellection Apple forcing the iPad to be tethered to a machine was a mistake.
And meet in housing the iPad does ingest Mac sales,”it’s enthusiastic to hit a modify share.” Seriously, that’s what was said in salutation to added discourse most the iPad and Mac sales. “If the iPad cannibalizes PCs, then that’s strange for us, because there’s a aggregation of PCs to cannibalize.”
Who knew Apple losing the PC wars could hit been so fortuitous.
Tags: Android, Apple, Google, ios, ipad, iphone, iphone 3, iphone 4, mac, microsoft, office, software